"Glitch art starts conversations that traditional art forms can’t really access, just by the nature of how it's created. How much do we control our technology, and how much does it control us? Can technology ever transcend the imperfection inherent in its human creators? What does it mean if we can reclaim the “errors” in our computers, phones, and cameras and repurpose them as our tools? The essence of glitch art is pretty simple: humans subject themselves to technology and exert control over it to a greater or lesser extent to produce a piece of artwork that is a product of both the creator’s intention and the device’s whims. There are themes inherent in this medium, then: morbidity and destruction next to growth and regeneration, conflicts between control and unpredictability, disassembling and re-appropriating the systems that surround us, technological chaos versus human balance — or vice versa."
"In her article Patchwork Hedrons, Lana Polansky explains glitch art's roots in Dada and punk ideologies with regards to the “repurposing and deliberate corruption of materials, impropriety, declarations of radicalism” and the “systemic dismantling” achieved through art."
-Mallika Roy, for The Periphery, 2014
2. Rename the file extension from ".jpg" to ".txt"
3. Double click the new .txt file, and it will open in TextEdit.
4. Minimize the TextEdit window.
5. Rename the file extension back to .jpg on your desktop.
6. Open the .jpg in Preview by double-clicking the image.
7. Reopen the minimized TextEdit window (This sequence will allow you to manipulate the code while watching your image change. This will save you a lot of time re-naming and re-opening your files).
8. Manipulate the code. Copy, paste, delate, add, etc, etc, etc. Avoid the upper 1/8 of the code, as that will corrupt the image file.
9. Take screenshots! (Shift+Command+4)
>> GLITCH STUDIES MANIFESTO <<
The Punctum as Glitch, via Digicult
GLITCH ART, wikipedia
"It's not a bug, it's a feature: the rise of glitch art" by the Gaurdian.
Understanding the Glitch Art Movement, by the Periphery
A Beautiful love story between two glitch art Twitter Bots
Glitch Blankets on Kickstarter
8 GLITCH ARTISTS
*IMAGE GLITCH TOOL*